When can I expect delivery?
When can I expect delivery?
Cape Town, Durban, Gauteng: 13 Days | Other areas: 15 Days | Sorry, no delivery to outlying areas and farms.
What is Clinofish?
Clinofish is a specific type of Zeolite mineral exclusively mined in South Africa by Pratley. It is a direct substitute for fish pond filter media that scavenges toxic ammonia from pond water. It is a true 21st century filter medium with both ion exchange and superior mechanical filtration properties. Unlike ordinary filter media, Clinofish acts as a filter on the atomic scale by absorbing toxic ammonia (which can kill fish stocks even at minute concentrations!) from pond water . This is due to a powerful negative charge that exists within the Clinofish structure that attracts positively charged cation contaminants such as ammonia and holds them within the Clinofish structure.
Also,unlike ordinary filter media such as gravel or sand, the surfaces of Clinofish particles are not smooth and therefore have large surface areas. Clinofish is therefore an extremely effective biological media for maximum colinization of useful bacteria.
Get optimal results by using Clinofish at the end of the filtration chain in new ponds or ponds with large fish stocks.
Clinofish is available in a 25 kg bag. The average sized pond filter tank will use 2 x 25kg bags of Clinofish.
7 Reasons Why Your Pond NEEDS Clinofish!
1. It reduces fish mortality rates
The waste produced by fish and decaying matter can quickly build up deadly ammonia levels if left unchecked. Moderate amounts of ammonia in an established pond can kill the fish that live in it. Clinofish actively removes ammonia from the water by a process called ion-exchange. This allows for more fish stocks in a smaller volume of water.
2. It dramatically improves pond water clarity
Unlike ordinary filter sand, the surfaces of Clinofish particles are not smooth. Clinofish particles attract and trap extremely fine dirt particles and algae directly onto their surfaces and not just between the grains like ordinary sand. You should notice a considerable difference to the water clarity after just one day of use.
3. It eliminates excess algae
Ammonia is one of the main food sources for algae. Clinofish removes this food source (ammonia) by a process called ion-exchange. Clinofish scavenges and holds onto the ammonium ions within it's crystaline structure. In short, no more ammonia means less algae!
4. It is the ideal substrate for biological filters
The nitrogen cycle is an essential part of sucessful fish ponds. In this process, ammonia is converted to nitrites and nitrates by beneficial bacterial colonies called nitrosomanas and nitrobacter. Due to it rough and porous suface, Clinofish is the ideal substrate for these biological filters to thrive.
5. You do your part to help the environment
Clinofish is a 100% natural mineral. This mineral is used in industry as a pollution cleanup material. When it is time to replace the Clinofish in your pond filter, simply spread your old ammonia-loaded Clinofish onto your lawn and watch your grass grow! Used Clinofish acts as the perfect slow release fertilizer for your lawn and flower beds! Best of all, it is completely natural!
6. It removes toxic heavy metals from the water
Not only does Clinofish remove ammonia from pond water, it also removes highly toxic heavy metals such as lead as well as some of the most dangerous radionuclides like Caesium and Strontium.
7. It can be used over again
You can regenerate Clinofish. Simply turn off your pump, remove filter top, drain out all the water, remove the Clinofish from the filter tank and place it in a large bath or trough. Add a solution of brine (10% salt solution or 1kg rock salt per 10 litres water) over the Clinofish filter media so that the Clinofish is fully submerged in the salt solution.Leave this over night to remove all the absorbed ammonia from the Clinofish structure. For more detailed information on the regeneration of Clinofish.
How to add Clinofish to your pond filter tank
1. Fill half the filter tank with water.
2. Slowly add Clinofish to half the tank volume and close the lid.
3. Backwash for 2 minutes and then rinse for 2 minutes. This removes any fines generated during transport.
4. Top up with Clinofishe to the normal sand level and close the lid.
How to Regenerate Clinofish
Unsaturated Clinofish never stops working. It absorbs ammonia from your pond water on a 24 hour basis. Consequently over time, the Clinofish will become saturated with ammonia, and needs to be regenerated. The time between regenerations can vary depending on fish loads and the age of the pond. It is suggested that you frequently monitor ammonia levels using a good quality ammonia test kit and regenerate the Clinofish when you notice ammonia levels rising. You may have to regenerate more often with higher fish loads or during frequent thunderstorm activity.
Regeneration of Clinofish is an easy process:
- Switch off your filter pump.
- Unscrew the lid of your filter tank.
- Drain the water completely from your filter tank.
- Remove the Clinofish from the filter tank and place it in a large bath or trough.
- Add a solution of brine (10% salt solution or 1kg rock salt per 10 litres water) over the Clinofish filter media so that the Clinofish is fully submerged in the salt solution.
- Leave the Clinofish to soak in the salt solution overnight.
- In the morning, drain the bath or trough of the brine. Rinse the Clinofish media with fresh water a few times to remove excess salt from the Clinofish media. (Make sure you rinse with FRESH uncontaminated water)
- Replace the Clinofish media back into the filter pump.
- Screw on the filter tank lid and turn the pump valve to the backwash cycle and backwash for 3 minutes.
- Select the rinse cycle for a further 2 minutes.
Your Clinofish is now fresh and ready for more ammonia removal!
Note: instead of regenerating your Clinofish, you may choose to fully replace it with fresh Clinofish. Simply spread your old "ammonia-loaded" Clinofish on your lawn and watch your grass grow! Used Clinofish acts as the perfect slow release fertilizer for your lawn and flower beds! Best of all, it is completely natural!